Are you ready to advance the state of humankind in the pursuit of human knowledge? Deimos-One is leading the future commercial space age with the development of our new, cutting-edge technology – our mission is to open the door to an infinite and unimaginable future where anything is possible.
SENIOR AEROSPACE ENGINEER
We are seeking an ace Senior Aerospace Engineer within the Deimos-One Near Space Systems (NSS) Mission Area. Your primary task will be to advance current lighter-than-air exploration and remote sensing capabilities for near-space vehicles used in stratospheric observation. This includes the design, development, testing, and qualification; as well as the selection and integration of optics, electronics, structures and mechanisms, thermal control architecture, and C5ISR architecture for the purposes of high-altitude, near-space based high-resolution imagery of Earth. This position assumes the lead role in driving Deimos-One near space vehicle development for human and robotic missions on Earth and beyond.
On this mission you will develop and advance Deimos-One stratospheric vehicle systems capable of point-to-point navigation over large distances and persistent flight over specific areas of interest. The vehicle will be used to deliver real-time data and uninterrupted communications from high altitudes and provide long duration flight for the purposes of Earth Observation and ISR. The primary mission objective will be to advance vehicle design and development beyond the current state of the art.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Conduct detailed analyses of lighter-than-air helium craft for high altitude testing in the stratosphere
- Build representative 3D models, evaluate designs, and validate results with available wind-tunnel tests and analytical models
- Provide technical guidance on wind-tunnel test plans, model development, instrumentation and execution
- Provide guidance on materials selections and systems integrations related to flight craft.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to junior staff members
- Work closely with numerous other department experts in Machine learning, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and data science/analysis
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN
- Opportunity to work on cutting-edge research, prototype, development and transition
- Autonomy to pursue a research vision of your choosing, with support and resources to help fulfill that vision
- Support from a world class team that embraces innovation and challenges the status quo
- Establishment and/or growth of a reputation as a leader in your field
- Potential for position to transition into Chief Technology Officer pending availability of funds and needs
- A deep technical knowledge of high-speed fluid mechanics, aerothermodynamics, and air-breathing propulsion
- Demonstrated knowledge of CFD code development, including understanding of algorithms, numerical schemes, and turbulence modeling
- Experience in advanced CFD modeling, such as DES and LES
- Experience with high altitude propulsion systems a plus
- High initiative, motivation, flexibility, and interest in working in a fast-paced team environment
- Experience working on projects of various sizes, individually and as part of a team
- Experience working with civil space agencies and/or understanding of NASA projects and mission objectives
- Experience working at the prime mission level (encompassing engineering efforts for ground, space, and/or launch vehicle)
- Strong team player and ability to work independently with excellent communication, interpersonal, time management, organizational and problem-solving skills
- MS or PhD in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other relevant technical discipline
- 5-10 years of experience using CFD (including grid generation, execution of CFD codes, post-processing, analysis, and documentation) to analyze complex aerospace vehicles
- Consistent record of accomplishment of successful technical work involving aerodynamics and propulsion systems related to air vehicles, missiles, and munitions
- Demonstrated teaming skills involving engineering or analysis tasks
- Strong oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Experience with CFD++ and/or other major research CFD software, such as US3D, DPLR, OVERFLOW, or FUN3D
- Ability to generate and evaluate complex grids for CFD analysis using grid generation software such as Pointwise, ICEM CFD, Grid Pro and/or OVERGRID
- Experience with software visualization tools such as Tecplot, Ensight, Fieldview, and/or Paraview
- Experience with UNIX/Linux Bash, Python, or Perl programming languages
- Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance preferred. Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive Deimos-One missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment and random drug/alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
In addition to transforming the future of near-space systems, we are also transforming how and where we work. Deimos-One is making job flexibility a top priority to our employees. We’ve introduced the following role types (Onsite, Hybrid, or Remote) and now list them in the job posting title so candidates know where they will operate in our blended work environment. Please consider the following role type definitions as you apply for this role:
Onsite: Employees who are working in Onsite roles will work primarily onsite. This includes all production and maintenance workers, as they are essential to the development of our space vehicles.
Hybrid: Employees who are working in Hybrid roles will work regularly both onsite and offsite.
Remote: Employees who are working in Remote roles will work primarily offsite (from home).
Deimos-One is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Deimos-One is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of Deimos-One’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (702) 505-9782
MS or PhD in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or other relevant technical discipline
PhD in Aerospace Engineering
Salary Range: $160,000 – $200,000
Job Type: Full-time
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Desired Work Location:
United States (hybrid/remote/onsite)
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
Willingness to travel: 10% (Preferred)